The holidays are finally here and our Triangle residents are eager to show their festivity by trimming the tree and hanging the lights! But before getting started, it’s very important to take a moment and consider a few tips for safety.
At AGK Electric, we’ve seen happy times ruined by disasters that could’ve otherwise been avoided with some care and caution. So, stay smart and safe this season as you spread holiday cheer!
5 safety tips to consider as you begin decorating for the holiday season are:
- Check Wattage for Replacement Bulbs. It’s easy to get distracted during the holidays, and it’s quite annoying when decorations aren’t cooperating or have broken pieces. It’s imperative to check voltage and wattage on replacement bulbs for lights to ensure they’re compatible and won’t cause any electrical issues.
- Don’t Overload Outlets. This is good advice throughout the year, but especially during the holidays it’s important to keep track of what is plugged in where. It might be tempting to cram all lights into one single outlet, but consider getting a surge protector to achieve the same result with less risk.
- Keep Live Trees Hydrated. A dry, live tree is very likely to catch fire, so keep a schedule for watering times handy so you can easily keep track. It’s also a good idea to keep live trees away from heating sources such as fireplaces or space heaters.
- Don’t Leave Lit Candles Unattended. There’s nothing like the glow of twinkling lights and warm candles during the holidays. However, leaving a lit candle unattended is asking for trouble. It’s best to never leave candles unattended and to make sure they’re on sturdy bases, away from pets and kids, so they don’t tip over.
- Get Safety Equipment Inspected. Make sure your fire alarms have batteries full of juice and are in proper working order. It’s also probably a good idea to have a general electrical inspection to ensure the home’s electrical system is in top shape.
Let’s have a safe and merry holiday season by following these safety tips provided by our expert electricians at AGK Electric in Cary. For a consultation or to schedule an electrical inspection for your home, contact us today!